Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rotary cutters are for calm, unhurried use only.

Okay, so I know most of my readers (at least I think I do...) and I don't think anyone will be too alarmed or grossed out by this post. Most of us have sewing injuries of one kind or another, right?

So the day before yesterday I was trying to cut some material for a leotard strap (another long story, really, I have been doing way more sewing than blogging lately. Do you know how expensive little girls' dancewear is!!!!!). My two oldest are in school again, the baby was taking a nap, and my 3 year old decided to look for a certain junky dollar store toy. It just so happens that I had the day before thrown that toy in the trash (a funny thing happens when I pick up a toy for the 100th time, a little voice in my head says 'if you toss this, you'll never have to pick it up again.' And unfortunately, I listened to that voice this time).


So Connor is looking for his junky toy, I am trying to cut, and I tell him the truth: the garbage men took it, and it is long gone. Scream, slice, fingertip separated from finger. I'm not going to show any gory pics. I think I only took off about 1/4" anyway. Not enough to rush to the hospital or anything. But I did remove some fingernail along with a nice fleshy piece.


Okay, so here's my reaction, which my husband thinks makes me certifyable.  I was mad. No pain really (does that mean I was in shock?). But blood on the fabric. Wasting precious 'nap time' to bandage a stupid injury. And Connor keeps screaming, not because I'm hurt, of course, but because the junky toy is gone.

I was so mad I picked up that piece of my finger tip and threw it on the carpet! When my older kids got home from school they were so fascinated by my story they spent a half an hour crawling around looking for it. No luck, it must have blended in too well.


Right, well, I better go vacuum now. Hopefully my little diva of a model will cooperate soon and I can post pics of the dancewear. I'm actually quite proud of how it turned out.

And I would love to hear about your worst sewing injury. Come on, I'm not the only one, am I?

4 comments:

  1. Oh. boy. I haven't done this with a rotary cutter yet...but I did try to cut my finger off with my new knives when cutting up potatoes. I hit the nail bed and had to have stitches. Yes, you were in shock...I hope you heal quickly!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you only told me the condensed version about your finger! I like the full version much better! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I get frustrated like that too. I'm glad that it's not just me! :0) I'm sorry about your finger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't cut my self with a rotary but when Mer was a baby I was working on some project. Not wanting to neglect her I put on the floor next to me as I sat on the couch above her. I was singing to her and cutting when suddenly the scissors slipped from my fingers and landed directly into HER MOUTH! Luckily they were blunt and somehow closed and she had no evidence of injury. In hindsight, her mouth was probably the absolute best place for them to land. I have learned my lesson..no sharp things above little children.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...